Gorillaz-Unofficial Forums

LATEST GORILLAZ-RELATED NEWS: Jamie comments on future of Gorillaz at Monkey NYC event
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 998 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 67  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:48 pm 
Lex Luthor

Keep in mind that the dude is Icelandic. Bjork is accessible to him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:50 pm 

I'm waiting for the one with The Horrors in it personally.

I'm imagining it will probably be a bit more accessible because maybe the Monkey soundtrack didn't sell too well or was a little off the deep end for some Gorillaz fans. Not that Gorillaz fans are required to be fans of Monkey Journey to the West or that many even knew about it, but I recall the sticker on the front of the CD mentioning it... If that makes sense?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:00 pm 
Site Owner

Well Monkey... was never intended to be the same as Gorillaz, neither artistically nor commercially.

Gorillaz' third album will in no way be influenced by Monkey's sales. Artistically they were hinting that Monkey may have inspired them and influenced them for the third album, but the proof is in the pudding, when you're working on something for so long things can change. We'll have to wait and see if much Monkey-influenced stuff is on the final record.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:31 pm 

Because of that carousel thing I still have the feeling it's gonna be a all world kind of music record, don't know why

India, Syria, other parts of Africa , he talked about north African influences on Bananaz with Terry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:47 pm 
Fangirl

beatfloh wrote:
Because of that carousel thing
I'm still curious whether that will pop up on LP 3.

TheBritishSushi wrote:
Where's Afroman when I'm hittin' this bong

EvilMurdoc wrote:
maybe the Album will be simply called "Z" :mrgreen: .I hope not..since z is the last letter of the Alphabet..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:38 pm 

I still have no idea what carousel really was going to be

[12:22:38 PM] Zappanale: naw, jonnys bitchslaps are like being wanked off by an angel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:44 pm 
Site Owner

Jonny wrote:

A film with an accompanying album.

The film itself would have been a series of short films combining to form a larger whole, (possibly ten short films). A mixture of animation and live action, produced by Zombie and friends and other associates (as opposed to being put together by a big budget studio). Based around music. Damon supposedly wrote '70' songs for it.

That's basically as much info as has been released outside the 'inner circle'.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:04 pm 

Jonny wrote:

I don't either, just what I thought it could be, music wise

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:30 pm 
Fangirl

2-J wrote:
Jonny wrote:

A film with an accompanying album.

The film itself would have been a series of short films combining to form a larger whole, (possibly ten short films). A mixture of animation and live action, produced by Zombie and friends and other associates (as opposed to being put together by a big budget studio). Based around music. Damon supposedly wrote '70' songs for it.

That's basically as much info as has been released outside the 'inner circle'.

:shock: Woah, the only part I knew was Damon having written 70 songs for it. Other than that, I thought they had said it would going to be like Monkey, just way bigger, so I expected another opera-kind of thing.

TheBritishSushi wrote:

EvilMurdoc wrote:
maybe the Album will be simply called "Z" :mrgreen: .I hope not..since z is the last letter of the Alphabet..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:38 pm 
Site Owner

Actually yeah, I forgot. They did mention it could be a stage thing (as well) at one point didn't they.. :oops:

I first heard about it when I interviewed Jamie; then, he only mentioned film and album. But you're right, later, there was a comment about it possibly having a stage manifestation too.

As the current Albarn-Hewlett group project is called Monkey, it appears that their next abstract venture will be called something in Spanish (Carosella, maybe) and it will be something to do with a war machine, or a cavalry training mechanism - the source of modern merry-go-rounds - and it might be on ice, or refer to the carnival carousel in Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes where you grow older or younger depending on which way you ride. Musically, there will possibly be a reference to Albarn's passion for the kinetic tunes Bertolt Brecht lyrics would be fastened to. And some Human League. 'There's always some Human League. I remember the moment I became a little bit more political when I spliced on tape some of my Dad's Arabic recordings over the Human League's 'The Lebanon'. Heaven 17's Penthouse and Pavement was a favourite. And there's the Specials and the Combat Rock Clash and Big Audio Dynamite. But when I was a kid I had all this access to African and Asian and Indian music and spirituals, Paul Robeson. That was what I listened to growing up. That was what was played at home. Sufi music. I absorbed it all. I didn't arrive at this non-pop music in a Beatles-like revelation. It was always there. In a way, pop took me away from it for a while.' http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/au ... alandopera

""What Hewlett hopes to achieve in the near future is 'a new project which Damon and I are working on now, called Carousel, which is even bigger and more difficult than Monkey, and it isn't going to fit anywhere and no one's going to like it, ha ha ha! We've started work - I've done a lot of visuals and Damon's done a lot of music but we haven't figured out how they're going to fit together. 'I can't say much about it yet but it's sort of like a film, but not with one narrative story. There's many stories, told around a bigger story, set to music, and done in live action, animation, all different styles... originally it was a film but now we think it's a film and it's a stage thing as well and ... look, it's basically us doing what the fuck we want without worrying about whether it's for a record company or a film company or whatever. So I'm not sure how it'll pan out, or even if it will happen. But Damon's written around 70 songs for it, and I've got great plans for the visuals, but right now, at this moment, it's still just a really good idea.'" from http://gorillaz-news.livejournal.com/228062.html http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2008/jul/20/art

So hmm, to summarise, I was right about the only other concrete info being that they were considering taking it to the stage. The stuff in the Morley article (first quote) is a huge range of ideas and influences, too garbled to know if any was said in jest or were just ideas banging around or whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:21 pm 

And carousel is deffinatly not gonna happen, or is it on hold?

[12:22:38 PM] Zappanale: naw, jonnys bitchslaps are like being wanked off by an angel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:30 pm 
Fangirl

Holy fuck, I didn't know that first article. xD Sounds like that would have gonna be amazing.

TheBritishSushi wrote:

EvilMurdoc wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:20 pm 

ah I knew I read it somewhere, I remember now, because I bought the guardian, there was a link here on GU to my scans as well

if you want it I can send you the scan in original size

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:48 pm 
Site Owner

Jonny wrote:
And carousel is deffinatly not gonna happen, or is it on hold?

No definitive statement has been released, and no quote from Damon or Jamie. I guess the Carousel buzz never got large enough for most journos to hear of it.

Certainly it's been postponed indefinitely with the focus on Gorillaz album 3 from late august/early september 2008.

I would imagine, with the way things are with them, that the best ideas of all kinds will simply be used somehow in phase 3. That would be the logical assumption. Comments made by Damon on the album's progress, especially quite early on, when he seemed to indicate a fair level of progress had already taken place, would seem to indicate they took work forward, too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:18 pm 

2-J wrote:
We'll have to wait and see if much Monkey-influenced stuff is on the final record.

It's a shame, because I was hoping for more Monkey related stuff to come along and it seems as it has all died out by now. Not even a DVD of a complete show. I was also hoping for more comics like the short Time Out Magazine one, a deluxe art book, and maybe even another CD worth of material. I guess it's all in my dreams.

But I could still be speaking way too soon as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 998 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 67  Next