Gorillaz-Unofficial Forums

LATEST GORILLAZ-RELATED NEWS: Jamie comments on future of Gorillaz at Monkey NYC event
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 998 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 67  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:31 pm 
Mod

Syntheticgerbil wrote:
2-J wrote:
We'll have to wait and see if much Monkey-influenced stuff is on the final record.

It's a shame, because I was hoping for more Monkey related stuff to come along and it seems as it has all died out by now. Not even a DVD of a complete show. I was also hoping for more comics like the short Time Out Magazine one, a deluxe art book, and maybe even another CD worth of material. I guess it's all in my dreams.

But I could still be speaking way too soon as well.

yeah, it's kind of weird that the monkey site seemed to stall, the "world of monkey" was left incomplete as if there was to be a final piece (even in the block graphic). Did they even ever announce the winner of the remix contest ?

I had always hoped that the last piece was going to be a full-length animated version of Monkey.

A helluva lot of projects seem to have been/still going on....what with that, Carousel, and the more recent mentions of a ballet perhaps. Never mind Damon and Jamie's other projects. It's no wonder some of it gets tossed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:37 am 
Site Owner

Yeah they definitely dropped the ball as far as keeping up the Monkey website went.

And as for Monkey, seems it has caused them a lot of shit in the end.

It has definitely faced some setbacks. The Berlin run was cancelled. So many other places have been proposed in more or less definite terms (New York, Tokyo, Athens, that I remember off the top of my head. And a USA travelling tour) but nothing has come of it.

They even spent a million pounds between them buying the rights off the French government (who owned a bit, having part funded the original production) so they own it themselves, yet it has not been put on anywhere else... The O2 run was also pretty poorly received by fans in general it seems, plagued by a lottt of problems, no idea on the ticket sales but... anyway. I guess given that they own it, it could make a comeback later, it just seems like a lot to come back from.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:05 pm 
Lex Luthor

HUGE shame. :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:04 pm 
Fangirl

Hmm when you're speaking of the devil. :D Interesting new news article.

TheBritishSushi wrote:
Where's Afroman when I'm hittin' this bong

EvilMurdoc wrote:
maybe the Album will be simply called "Z" :mrgreen: .I hope not..since z is the last letter of the Alphabet..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:19 pm 
Site Owner

Yep. I guess the big question is - will it be Gorillaz (in the sense of Gorillaz band, Gorillaz songs etc) or non-Gorillaz?

Case for it being Gorillaz band: 1) a bit of a funny time to be sorting something like this out if it's not Gorillaz band, given that 2010 is gonna be the year of the third Gorillaz album, and 2) they did say they wanted to take Gorillaz live somehow on the back of phase 3, but maybe in a different way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:26 pm 

So he's a comic book writer, but he's gonna be writing the... words in this opera?

[12:22:38 PM] Zappanale: naw, jonnys bitchslaps are like being wanked off by an angel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:27 pm 
Fangirl

2-J wrote:
Yep. I guess the big question is - will it be Gorillaz (in the sense of Gorillaz band, Gorillaz songs etc) or non-Gorillaz?
Is that really a big difference? I still think of Monkey as Gorillaz. By the way, do you think Carousel would have been Gorillaz band? Because I didn't think so.

TheBritishSushi wrote:

EvilMurdoc wrote:
maybe the Album will be simply called "Z" :mrgreen: .I hope not..since z is the last letter of the Alphabet..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:30 pm 
Site Owner

I think it's pretty certain Carousel wouldn't have been Gorillaz band, well, Jamie told me outright it wasn't Gorillaz band.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:57 pm 
Lex Luthor

Huh. Interesting news, indeed. I don't think it'll be a opera about the Gorillaz, though. I mean think about it. That's just a bad idea. XD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:35 pm 
Fangirl

Hmm. XD It might just "star" them, as the movie would have done. You know, them playing roles.

TheBritishSushi wrote:

EvilMurdoc wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:46 pm 
ASSHOLE

Is anybody else worried about this? I'm not really into comics, but I have zero faith in him doing this well in a way that meshes with the rest of the project. For one thing, I thought The Black Dossier was dumb, but I also didn't read through the cutesy in-universe metatext so maybe there's something in it that explains why the last quarter of the book features a fucking racist caricature.

And Watchmen is just okay.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:18 pm 

I don't know, you could have Murdoc in a viking helmet with spear and loincloth. It may work...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:12 pm 

NONE OF THIS NEWS MAKES ANY SENSE WHEN ITS ALL PUT TOGETHER. ROAR I CAN'T COMPREHEND WHAT THIS ALBUM WILL SOUND LIKE AT ALL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:34 pm 
Super Admin

^that. I know I'm supposed to be excited about this totally new sound, but I'm just worried.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:04 pm 

Cupnoodle wrote:
^that. I know I'm supposed to be excited about this totally new sound, but I'm just worried.

why worried? Not been dissappointed in the past so why worried about the future?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 998 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 67  Next